My choices for the top ten places you should visit when you are in Medellin, Colombia.
1. El Penon de Guatape – I am sure the idea of climbing a 750 step rock isn’t your idea of fun on vacation, truthfully it wasn’t mine especially when I saw the actual size of it. But once you take step one and 749 later you’ve reached the top it is quite a feeling and the view that comes along with it is the reason this gets my top spot.
2. Botero Plaza – is dedicated to the famous artist Fernando Botero. Twenty three sculptures each one in signature style known as ‘Boterismo’ in which he depicts people and figures in large, exaggerated volume, which can represent political criticism or humor, depending on the piece. He is considered the most recognized artist from Latin America.
3.Parque Explora – this houses the largest freshwater aquarium in South America it also has over 300 interactive attractions and a 3d auditorium, planetarium and vivarium. This is a place everyone can be a part of.
4. Parque Llares – after a day of touring the city with the children, this is the place for the nighttime for some degree adults only. As the name says it is a park located in Zona Rosa in Pablado the safest neighborhood in Medellin. You will find some of the cities best bars and nightclubs along with a sprinkle of restaurants and if that is not to satisfaction you can even pick up a prostitute, this is not the beset place for a night out with the kids.
5. The Botanical Garden of Medellin – for that day you want some peace and quiet this is the place for you. The garden is 14-hectare of solitude with 1,000 living species and 4,500 plants and if that weren’t enough it’s free!!!
6. Museo de Antioquia – for those love a day in an art museum this is the one to visit. With a multitude of works from all the greats, artists of Latin America such as Fernando Botero and Pedro Nel Gómez.
7. Metropolitan Cathedral of Medellin – for those of you that love a beautiful church this one can not be missed. located in the central zone of the Medellin in the Villianueva neighborhood, it is the city’s most important church.
8. Arvi Park – had I known what I was getting myself into I never would’ve gone to the park, the ride alone feels like forever but it was among the top things to do in Medellin. Well for those that love nature, hiking and the outdoors this is for you.
9. Bolivar Park – this is the best place to truly feel the vibe of Medellin, a place to just relax and enjoy this city. One the first three Sundays of each month the Symphonic Band at the University of Antioquia perform and the first Saturday of the month they can attend the traditional market of San Alejo.
10. Deseos Park ( Park of Wishes) – directly across the street from the Botanical Garden and a block or two from Parque Explora. This is a great place for kids and a great place to relax and spend some time with the people of Medellin. At night there is a big screen tv for evening movies.